Massage therapists are professions who assist various clients by manipulating their soft tissue muscles through touch. By touching their clients they are able to help them relax, get rid of pain, and help their injures heal. Massage therapists have been known to work in a variety of different habitats. Some settings are private whole other settings are public. Some of the more popular massage therapy locations are spas, offices, fitness centers, and hospitals.
It is very important for one to make sure that they choose the correct massage therapy school if they wish to be a successful massage therapist. Below you can find five things that you must consider before you make your decision on your school.
- How long have they been in business – You want to attend a school that has been offering massage therapy for a long time.
- Do they only teach massage therapy – You will want to make sure that the school you are attending specializes in massage therapy because it hints that they will be able to provide you with educational success because they only are focusing on one career.
- Do the instructors hold certifications – You will want to make sure that your instructor has been teaching for at least five years and be in the field of massage therapy actively themselves.
- Does the school have a good reputation – This can be found out by talking to a recent graduate and having them give you a massage so you can evaluate the skills they were able to learn, talking to the employers who are known to hire graduates from the specific school that you are considering, and by finding reviews that had been left by the recent graduates.
- Does the school have a good success rate – Make sure that you check out their passing/success rate for the national certification exam. Compare it with other schools rates and also see what the national average for your state is as well.
One Last Tip
I do have one last piece of advice, and that is to ask a lot of questions before entering a program. Go to the admissions office and don’t be shy. Ask them what kinds of classes they offer. You also want to ask about the experience of the teachers and the reputation of the school. This will give you a good idea of whether or not this is the school for you. You may also want to ask them about job placement after you get certified.